Shareable, smearable

(22)

After writing critically about problems in the business models of so-called "shareable economy" companies in last week's issue — including our cover story on Airbnb and other companies that facilitate short-term home rentals ("Into thin air") and a story on the rideshare company Lyft ("Driven to take risks") — the topic continued to dominate the sfbg.com Politics blog, with fresh posts and lots of reader comments:

AIRBNB PILE-ON

The excellent bilingual newspaper El Tecolote covered some of the same ground we did in its Aug. 1 cover story, "Unregulated Rental Business Takes Over Housing," focused on how Airbnb is contributing to gentrification and displacement in the Mission District.

Reporter Jackson Ly found a couple that turned a rent-controlled apartment on 24th St. into a $249 per month de facto hotel room, booking it for 24 nights in August and making $5,976 in just one month, on top of the $3,069 they're making in August renting out the guest room in the apartment where they actually live for $99 per night.

"It's cheating the people that pay taxes," Maria, who lives in the unit below this couple's investment apartment and is tired of the rotating stream of tourists in her building, told the newspaper.

I got ahold of El Tecolote Managing Editor Iñaki Fdez. de Retana, who said that housing issues like this one are extremely important to the Latino community that lives in the Mission, and he's been surprised that Mayor Ed Lee has been unwilling to address the impacts of Airbnb and other tech community contributors to the problem.

"It is very important," he told us, noting that visiting European tourists are changing the character of the neighborhood. "In particular on 24th Street, which was once seen as the heart of the Mission, it's changing overnight and [Airbnb and other housing rental websites] is a big part of that." (Steven T. Jones)

UBER UGLY CRASH

Uber's policy on insuring its drivers will soon be taken for a test drive, as the company that runs the mobile app-based ride requesting service and a driver were served with a court summons last week from a woman severely injured after a crash near a San Francisco intersection.

Those insurance policies were said to meet brand new regulatory requirements on rideshare services introduced by the California Public Utilities Commission on July 30, which was meant to solve the longtime regulatory battle between rideshare services and local governments.

The plaintiff in the suit, Claire Farhbach, was a bystander, not a customer, and that unique twist in the injury suit has experts from the taxi industry waiting to see if Uber will step up to the plate to pay for Farhbach's injuries, or if Uber will leave driver Djamol Gafurov on the hook for the bill.

Fahrbach was walking up Divisadero street near Hayes at quarter of midnight March 12 when Gafurov's black town car, operating as a private taxi, collided with another car on Divisadero while turning left. One of the cars then collided with a fire hydrant, and in the words of the civil suit, "this impact caused the fire hydrant to be violently sheared from its base and propelled through the air a number of feet northbound...when the fire hydrant struck (Farhbach) with a tremendous amount of force."

Comments

block rideshare app otherwise people not gonna see S.F taxi on the sf street

Posted by Guest on Aug. 15, 2013 @ 5:27 am

Still these solutions are brilliant one, everyone must follow these procedures wisely to have a great termed knowledge
[ Natural Garcinia Cambogia ][ garcinia cambogia side effects ][ garcinia cambogia diet ]
[ ssc coaching in delhi ][ where to buy garcinia cambogia ]

Posted by Natural Garcinia Cambogia on May. 21, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

involves any "shared economy" entity?

Not much bias there huh?

Posted by Guest on Aug. 17, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

Is real what you said, I have the same opinion!

Posted by fatherofbride-speech.com on Jan. 17, 2014 @ 7:07 am

Simply because Facebook or myspace is a brand new occurrence, there aren't
any clear-cut solutions to crack that. Capturing the template and doing a playback is a
security risk, and storing your templates on multiple devices and sites increases
the probability of theft. People who had the same login name on multiple sites, which
includes an e-mail address, were affected.

Posted by hacking fb on Jun. 16, 2014 @ 6:01 am

Both are really good choices, at least that is my personal opinion! For sure we will see more!

Posted by yacht booker on Feb. 12, 2014 @ 2:24 am

read and watch the windward.net blog and webcast to find out how one happy customer dramatically improved their site up-time and availability.geo target marketing

Posted by geo target marketing on Feb. 12, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Your approach to this topic is unique and informative. I am writing an article for our school paper and this post has helped me a lot. Cheers
free vpn

Posted by DeborahK1s on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 11:48 pm

This topic has always been one of my favorite subjects to read about. I have found your post to be very rousing and full of good information. I will check your other articles shortly.
www.cushyoffice.com

Posted by Frances1s on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 5:32 am

After reading up this blog i have shown some great interests in these type of blogs and would say that it needs to be bookmarked now.

Posted by whole body garcinia cambogia on May. 09, 2014 @ 3:12 am

Well sharing as caring as the saying goes... Hope thats what i am doing :)

Posted by Earl on May. 12, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

I would definitely rate this as excellent subject to review, a much needed one for future concerns and it must be share too with others
[ Natural Garcinia Cambogia ][ garcinia cambogia side effects ]

Posted by Natural Garcinia Cambogia on May. 21, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

'Excellent explanations shown here, would make me more notifiable in future need of this occurrence a noteworthy experience seen before.
[ garcinia cambogia diet ]
[ ssc coaching in delhi ]

Posted by Natural Garcinia Cambogia on May. 21, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

I respect your views and love the way you have expressed them. But if you want to buy best vacuum for pet hair then go to the blog.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2014 @ 10:53 pm

If you want to buy the best vacuum for pet hair then go the blog but I also disagree with the comments that you have mentioned in your articles.

Posted by samantha on Jun. 09, 2014 @ 10:55 pm

I found this post very exciting. I think you will have any other post on this topic? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your working style. Cheers!
fish oil omega 3

Posted by Steven4s1s on Jun. 11, 2014 @ 3:06 am

I am preparing a college paper and collecting information on this topic. Your post is one of the better that I have read. Thank you for putting this information into one site.
how to buy vine followers

Posted by RandFlips4 on Jun. 18, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Great content shares best portions to make the deal work and the formula works better to leave better assistance. And it greatly runs with easy notation passages to them.
how to cure diabetes

Posted by Reynolds on Jul. 09, 2014 @ 11:05 am

I have been interested in this topic for quite some time. I have been researching it for a couple of hours and found your post to be very interesting. Cheers.
instagram followers

Posted by TereSms4 on Jul. 12, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

Your article shows you have a lot of background in this topic. Can you direct me to other articles about this? I will recommend this article to my friends as well. Thanks
buy likes on instagram

Posted by TiaSms4 on Jul. 14, 2014 @ 6:09 am

Posted by 401k to gold IRA rollover on Jul. 14, 2014 @ 10:44 pm

Great content shares best portions to make the deal work and the formula works better to leave better assistance. Thanks for sharing

Posted by iphone os unlock reviews on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Also from this author