The most expensive city in the nation grapples with a hunger problem
In the meantime, the problem of feeding San Francisco persists.
"Compared to other food banks in the nation, we're at the top," Ash said, referencing the volume of food it distributes to the hungry. "But you can't give yourself an A when there are thousands of people who need help who don't get it."
And if everyone eligible for CalFresh were enrolled, would the city be on its way to tackling hunger?
"We'd be pretty darn close," Ash said.
To volunteer with the San Francisco and Marin Food Bank, visit www.sffoodbank.org. The holiday brings an influx of help to food pantries, but they experience a dramatic drop off in January and February — and could use more help then.
Most Commented On
- sound like you the one - March 7, 2014
- Mayor Shake we love you we - March 7, 2014
- Mayor Shake - March 7, 2014
- don't judge a book by the - March 7, 2014
- No. Expedia and the others don't pay TOT taxes. Here's proof. - March 6, 2014
- All I'm saying is - March 6, 2014
- Expedia etc. collect and pay TOT tax. - March 6, 2014
- Never Used Internet - March 6, 2014
- you're making less and less sense - March 6, 2014
- Ridiculous Discussion- Great Premise - March 6, 2014