Wigging out with Stephen Malkmus

Post-Pavement reunion and adventures abroad, the indie icon talks Beyoncé, Portland fishbowl syndrome, and embracing his classic-rock upbringing

(26)
Stephen Malkmus
PHOTO BY LEAH NASH

esilvers@sfbg.com

LEFT OF THE DIAL Stephen Malkmus' 17-year-old cat, Juanita, has been peeing outside the catbox lately.

He's been assuming it's just stress from the new additions to the household — two kittens recently joined the Portland home Malkmus shares with his wife, artist Jessica Jackson Hutchins, and their two young daughters. But he took her (the cat) to the vet today, and it turns out she needed a couple of back teeth extracted, plus they did blood work, the whole nine yards, he says, by way of explanation about why we're starting this phone interview with him sitting in a veterinary office waiting room, and why, beginning about five minutes later, as they leave, the guttural moans of which only an unhappy cat is capable will serve as the soundtrack for the bulk of our conversation.

"That's really terrible, isn't it?" says the Stockton native, thoughtfully, of Juanita's misery, before insisting that he's perfectly happy to talk with her wailing in the background. "Got some Exorcist, Linda Blair sounds going on."

As a guy who's still best known as a touchstone for (if not the founder of) mid-'90s indie slacker-rock — Pavement's mainstream breakthrough Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, which came out 20 years ago last month, and which got the deluxe reissue treatment 10 years later, was arguably one of the defining albums of that decade — Stephen Malkmus seems to understand that it's tough for people to reconcile the skinny, casually bratty, frozen-in-time Pavement frontman with the current Stephen Malkmus: A 47-year-old suburban dad who cares a lot about his fantasy basketball league, and who's currently trying to figure out if his sick cat is capable of eating yet.

And yet: His solo career, at the helm of Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, has actually outlasted Pavement's at this point. The band's sixth album, Wig Out at Jagbags, out this January, is full of the wry, observational comedy and narrative wordplay that have come to constitute the Malkmus trademark. (The band's tour for the album brings them to Slim's this Thursday, March 27.) And while it's easy to romanticize the golden days of lo-fi lullabies about young love and record label angst and being so drunk in the August sun — hell, those songs sounded nostalgic about those days while they were happening — the truth is that it was in the years that followed, with the Jicks' more simplified and twang-ified tunes increasingly showing his '70s classic rock influences and allowing the lyrics to come front and center, that Malkmus went and became one of the best songwriters we have right now.

Maybe even more sneakily: He seems like he's figured out how to (gasp) have fun.

"Come and join us in this punk rock tomb, come slam dancing with some ancient dudes/We are returning, returning to our roots, no new material, just cowboy boots," begins Malkmus, through a nearly audible smirk, on an upbeat ditty called "Rumble at the Rainbo"; at one point, the song devolves goofily into a full-on ska breakdown.

Comments

There are no words to describe how bodacious this is.

Posted by dissertation writing on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

I went to tons of links before this, what was I thinking?

Posted by doessayonline.com on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

So that's the case? Quite a revelation that is.

Posted by who can�do my essay on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

That's an apt answer to an interesting question

Posted by do my essay�for me on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 5:02 am

Keep these articles coming as they've opened many new doors for me.

Posted by website on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Wow, this is in every respect what I needed to know.

Posted by essay writer on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 10:48 am

Glad I've finally found something I agree with!

Posted by car insurance quote on May. 13, 2014 @ 8:02 am

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by famous life insurance sayings on May. 25, 2014 @ 11:48 am

That's really thinking at a high level

Posted by insurance rates for small business on May. 29, 2014 @ 9:03 am

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by cheap insurance on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

No question this is the place to get this info, thanks y'all.

Posted by insurance car on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

So true. Honesty and everything recognized.

Posted by cheap car insurance on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by reproductive organs on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

Hahahaha. I'm not too bright today. Great post!

Posted by product recognition on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 9:45 am

That's really thinking of the highest order

Posted by manly features on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by answers on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Whoa, things just got a whole lot easier.

Posted by over thousands on Jul. 30, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

None can doubt the veracity of this article.

Posted by chemical ingredients on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Many many quality points there.

Posted by healthy ratio on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

That insight solves the problem. Thanks!

Posted by cipla limited on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 10:56 am

Son of a gun, this is so helpful!

Posted by low-grade chronic on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

What a neat article. I had no inkling.

Posted by edition on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

My name is Sarah. i want to use this opportunity to thank my great doctor Areghan who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great Doctor Areghan brought my husband back to me, i had 3 lovely kids for my husband, about 3 years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me for one lady. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met a good friend of mine that was also in a situation like me but her problem was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that mine was a small case and that i shouldn't worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solution to my problems and she gave me this great man phone number and his email address. i was doubting if this man was the solution, so i contacted this great man and he told me what to do and i did them all, he told me to wait for just two days and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy. that why i want to say a big thank you to Dr. Areghan. This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem or any problem that is similar, i will advise you to come straight to this great man. you can email him: realspellcaster112@gmail.com

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

This is a neat summary. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by particular ingredient on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Hey, that's a clever way of thinking about it.

Posted by smoker who on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:46 am

Hey, killer job on that one you guys!

Posted by hopeless frame on Aug. 07, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.