The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus rocked Davies Symphony Hall last night in a special performance that included the Mission High School Chorus joining the group on stage for a couple songs and a pair of proclamations honoring SFGMC Artistic Director Kathleen McGuire for 10 years leading the venerable singing ensemble.
One proclamation, from the California Legislature, was delivered by Sen. Mark Leno, who praised both McGuide’s inspirational musical leadership and her amazing ability to somehow handle the “200 divas” that make up SFGMC. The other proclamation, delivered by Sup. Bevan Dufty, came from Mayor Gavin Newsom and proclaimed April 22 “Kathleen McGuire Day” in San Francisco.
But the political pomp paled in comparison to the program, “Rockaria!” made up of foot-tapping and delightfully rearranged songs from Queen, Michael Jackson, Journey, Bon Jovi, Blacked Eyed Peas, Elton John, Billy Joel, Coldplay, Doobie Brothers, Joan Jett, Bananarama, Madonna, Yes, and Stevie Wonder, complete with some hilarious dance numbers.
And to make the night even more fun, the program included a sing-along, air guitar performance by audience members, and encouragement of audience members with smart phones to mark the event with simultaneous Twitter or Facebook posts and to use the phones like lighters at a rock concert during one number.
If you ever get a chance to check out this performance, do it! And rock on!
Most Commented On
- As are the actions of your imaginary - May 22, 2013
- Unlike your whiney rant against SFBG & Wendell? - May 22, 2013
- It can't be denied San - May 22, 2013
- Delusions of grandeur? - May 22, 2013
- It wasn't the SCOTUS who - May 22, 2013
- You shot yourselves in the feet when u fought other devel'ments! - May 22, 2013
- PG&E Solar - May 22, 2013
- Any evidence for that? - May 22, 2013
- Yes, it gets decided at the State level, hence the Ellis Act. - May 22, 2013
- Contract killers make money to so should we - May 22, 2013