For the cover of our Queer Pride Issue, the Guardian rallied a group together to take some photos and ask them about their experiences as queer youths in the Bay Area. Go to the jump to hear more from Angel, Brian, Dennis, and Huitzi.
(Photos by Keeney and Law)
Angel, Intern, SF LGBT Community Center
"I'm really excited for Pride! I've never been... this is going to be my first time, so I'm really excited..."
Brian, Recent SF Transplant
"I grew up in Texas. By coming out here I'm coming into a new world where it's ok being gay, it's ok being you you are, it's ok me loving Angel, and it's ok flaunting it. No one is going to say anything about that. I think the Bay Area is where I was meant to be."
Dennis, Poet/Musician/Queer Youth Educator
"What inspires me is adversity, because it's something that enrages me and something that fuels me to overcome."
"What inspires me? Seeing other people display their strength. Especially if they want to help people that are going through the same things they did. Seeing people take a stand for what they believe in... I love that."
Most Commented On
- Wait until you experience your future. - May 21, 2013
- Defined benefit pensions are prohibitively expensive. - May 21, 2013
- Yeah. - May 21, 2013
- Who told you nobody gets laid - May 21, 2013
- no, bizarre logic was the - May 21, 2013
- you're being short sighted, - May 21, 2013
- Don't use children as an excuse for your own hangups - May 21, 2013
- "So which is it? Are the rich - May 21, 2013
- Fracking is becoming SOP everywhere. - May 21, 2013
- It's about ROI, dummy. - May 21, 2013