So SFist likes our cover this week. I haven't heard any complaints yet, but we'll get some. And they'll be utterly predictable: Why are there penises on the front page, right out there (as my mother used to say) in front of God and everyone?
Here's the thing: I've been doing this a long time, and we've put a lot of naked people on the cover (nude beaches, sex issue, random stories about public nakedness) -- and when it's just women, nobody peeps. Full frontal, whatever -- it seems in our society that it's perfectly okay to show the unclothed female body. But not a dick. God, not a dick.
I've often wondered why a movie that shows tits and (female) asses can get away with a PG-13 rating and even full-frontal female, and lots of it, only gets you an R. But a single glimpse of a male organ, even in its unaroused state, automatically turns a movie into NC-17.
What, are penises really that scary? Or are most of the censors guys who have, you know, issues?'
Most Commented On
- I wouldn't say that the Progressives had many "admirable wins". - June 19, 2013
- Every politician understands the need for co-operation and - June 19, 2013
- I think you're in the wrong thread - June 19, 2013
- Thanks for the compliment although please don't mistake my - June 19, 2013
- Except that progressives had - June 19, 2013
- AnnG, both Davis and Olague had "loser" written all over them - June 19, 2013
- Lose the killer instinct and - June 19, 2013
- Guest's grammar looks perfect to me but in any event maybe you - June 19, 2013
- You may have "no problem with prostitution", Tim but - June 19, 2013
- This confirms my feeling about those D5 endorsements - June 19, 2013