A memorial (and informational event) at the 6th and Folsom corner where bicyclist 24-year-old Amelie Le Moullac was fatally run over by a truck last week was interrupted by a tense confrontation with SFPD Sgt. Richard Ernst, when he showed up to block the bike lane with his cruiser to lecture the cyclists.
SFBC Executive Director Leah Shahum told the Guardian in a story Wednesday that SFPD Sgt. Richard Ernst showed up to make his apparent disdain for “you people,” bicyclists.
From that story: “He then told me explicitly that he ‘would not leave until’ I ‘understood’ that ‘it was the bicyclist’s fault.' This was shocking to hear, as I was told just a day ago by Commander [Mikail] Ali that the case was still under investigation and no cause had yet been determined,” Shahum wrote in a report to the Office of Citizen Complaints. Below are a few reactions from the Twitterverse to Sgt. Ernst's actions.
Below are a few reactions from the Twitterverse to Sgt. Ernst's actions.
Can somebody photoshop Sgt. Richard Ernst's head on the pepper spray dude and make him spray a mangled bike, I'm kinda busy. @sfpd
— Anthony R (@printtemps) August 22, 2013
— Jesse Hattabaugh (@arkanciscan) August 22, 2013
SFPD Sargent Richard Ernst should be fired for putting citizens at risk while on duty.
— Ashley Martens (@ashngmoco) August 22, 2013
— Katie Kelly (@okkatiekay) August 22, 2013
— gary honda (@HS1099) August 22, 2013
Please sign this petition to get the anti-bike bigot Sgt. Richard Ernst suspended for his actions yesterday.... http://t.co/EEo2kjpxZV
Cyclist Patrick Traughber then rode a route spelling out the victim's name, in tribute and memoriam. Special software tracked his route and displayed her name via the software.
Most Commented On
- 20 percent - December 12, 2013
- I'd like to know at what goal - December 12, 2013
- Cycling is popular with tech workers as they are typically - December 12, 2013
- FOLLOW-UP - December 12, 2013
- Tech businesses probably have a higher proportion of - December 12, 2013
- You pay now! - December 12, 2013
- homeless scum - December 12, 2013
- Wrong, Marcos, when white male tech workers like you buy up - December 12, 2013
- You speak of gay men like you - December 12, 2013
- Since when are CEOs and - December 12, 2013