Today (Tue/3) people are switching gears from the consumer madness of Black Friday, the shopping kickoff of the holiday season.
Dec. 3 marks the second annual #GivingTuesday, created to encourage generosity in support of positive change rather than materialistic consumerism.
According to this website, the 92nd Street Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association, in partnership with the United Nations Foundation, was the catalyst and incubator for the #GivingTuesday initiative, billed as “a new day for giving back.”
And throughout the Bay Area, nonprofits and arts organizations are taking advantage of the opportunity to solicit support for a wide range of worthy causes, with mini fund drives being helped along with social media.
So go ahead, pry your eyes away from those YouTube videos of Black Friday Walmart stampedes -- and have a look around instead at what local causes you might want to support. Because it's the giving season, and Tuesday isn’t over yet.
— YBCA (@ybca) December 3, 2013
— Exploratorium (@exploratorium) December 3, 2013
— SF Bicycle Coalition (@sfbike) December 3, 2013
— Sunday Streets SF (@SundayStreets) December 3, 2013
— David Chiu (@DavidChiu) December 3, 2013
— BAYCAT (@baycatSF) December 3, 2013
— Visual Aid Gallery (@visualaid) November 27, 2012
— WomensComClinic (@WomensComClinic) December 3, 2013
— WIRED (@WIRED) December 3, 2013
— Oakland Rising (@OaklandRising) December 3, 2013
— Oceana (@Oceana) December 3, 2013
— Mother Jones (@MotherJones) December 3, 2013
— MapLight (@MapLight) December 3, 2013
— Van Jones (@VanJones68) December 3, 2013
— Drug Policy Alliance (@DrugPolicyNews) December 3, 2013
— Womens Foundation CA (@womensfoundca) November 29, 2013
— SF Boat Show (@SFBoatShow) December 3, 2013
Most Commented On
- ewGqgRNDgnhDz - April 18, 2014
- I always get a laugh - April 18, 2014
- ikJqnIJbvyMdSeQLnpS - April 18, 2014
- Your trollish obsession with me is admirable in its tenacity. - April 18, 2014
- It is slowly happening as they move to Oakland or - April 18, 2014
- If they had not walked off the job, this would not have - April 18, 2014
- Except that there is zero evidence that SFPD acted improperly - April 18, 2014
- conveniently missing out the part where he was waving his - April 18, 2014
- No INNOCENT people were hurt. - April 18, 2014
- You and we are talking about them both. - April 18, 2014