Today (Tue/3) people are switching gears from the consumer madness of Black Friday, the shopping kickoff of the holiday season.
Dec. 3 marks the second annual #GivingTuesday, created to encourage generosity in support of positive change rather than materialistic consumerism.
According to this website, the 92nd Street Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association, in partnership with the United Nations Foundation, was the catalyst and incubator for the #GivingTuesday initiative, billed as “a new day for giving back.”
And throughout the Bay Area, nonprofits and arts organizations are taking advantage of the opportunity to solicit support for a wide range of worthy causes, with mini fund drives being helped along with social media.
So go ahead, pry your eyes away from those YouTube videos of Black Friday Walmart stampedes -- and have a look around instead at what local causes you might want to support. Because it's the giving season, and Tuesday isn’t over yet.
— YBCA (@ybca) December 3, 2013
— Exploratorium (@exploratorium) December 3, 2013
— SF Bicycle Coalition (@sfbike) December 3, 2013
— Sunday Streets SF (@SundayStreets) December 3, 2013
— David Chiu (@DavidChiu) December 3, 2013
— BAYCAT (@baycatSF) December 3, 2013
— Visual Aid Gallery (@visualaid) November 27, 2012
— WomensComClinic (@WomensComClinic) December 3, 2013
— WIRED (@WIRED) December 3, 2013
— Oakland Rising (@OaklandRising) December 3, 2013
— Oceana (@Oceana) December 3, 2013
— Mother Jones (@MotherJones) December 3, 2013
— MapLight (@MapLight) December 3, 2013
— Van Jones (@VanJones68) December 3, 2013
— Drug Policy Alliance (@DrugPolicyNews) December 3, 2013
— Womens Foundation CA (@womensfoundca) November 29, 2013
— SF Boat Show (@SFBoatShow) December 3, 2013
Most Commented On
- You're lucky Ed Lee is even willing to talk to you given that - March 11, 2014
- She's not bad actually - March 11, 2014
- The conclusion is obvious - the people don't care. - March 11, 2014
- "Comrades!! Out of the buses and into your cars!!" - March 11, 2014
- okay tr*nny is a slur by the - March 11, 2014
- Bottled water ban - March 11, 2014
- Objecting to people taking a bus to work is not really a - March 11, 2014
- I wanna guess that "Tiny" weighs three hundred pounds. - March 11, 2014
- Any half-decent report would explain WHY this guy is being - March 11, 2014
- You would be delayed for far longer by all the extra cars there - March 11, 2014